Is it vital to fully answer “Why do you want to study at this university?” on your personal statement?
A personal statement for university is probably the most important part of your application. It is the only part of your application where you are able to tell the reader who you are and why you should be accepted onto their university course. A well written and attention grabbing answer to the prompt “why do you want to study at this university?” will get you noticed and help you to gain a place. However if you do not fully answer the prompt you could find yourself being overlooked. In addition, you may find more information concerning writing a personal statement about why do you want to attend this school or why do you want to attend this college by visiting our site.
How to answer “Why do you want to study at this university?”
Many students get so hung up on how they should write their personal statement that they actually fail to answer the question that they have been asked, even one as simple as this. You have to realize that the prompt or question is designed to get you to write about what it is that they are looking for from you. It may also help to consider what they also to want to find out. When they ask why do you want to go to university they are also asking you to provide answers to;
- Why do you want to study the specific course you are applying for?
- Do you have a long standing interest in that subject and how has it developed?
- Do you have a clear career path that requires your studies?
- Do you have the drive and skills to complete your studies at university?
- What is it about this specific university that makes you want to apply here?
Writing the perfect university personal statement
It will never be enough to just answer the question why do you want to study at this university, you also need to ensure that your answer is written perfectly in every way. Errors in your writing will tell the reader that you did not care enough about your application to check it and by extrapolation that you don’t care enough about getting this place. Therefore you need to;
- Carefully proofread your personal statement; read it backwards to help you find errors
- Read your personal statement out loud and play it back to ensure that it reads well
- Check that you actually answered the question; “why do you want to study at this university?”
You can also learn more about personal statement why do you want to be a physician on our website.