Introduction to Bard College Admission Requirements and Academics
Bard College is a private school located in Annandale-on-Hudson, New York. It was founded in 1860 and currently has 2,059 students enrolled. Out of all its undergraduate students, 55% are female and 45% of which are male. Bard College is ranked #155 out of 1,391 best nationwide colleges and placed #21 out of 115 best New York colleges.
If you also are interested in Coe College application, click here to find out more.
Bard College is more selective compared to other schools and has a 35% acceptance rate. Out of 5,670 applicants, only 1,960 were admitted and 486 applied. Given that the school can be quite selective, you should consider complying with all the necessary Bard College admission requirements early on. Bard College admission requirements are the following:
- Apply using Common Application with a supplemental essay
- Teacher recommendations
- Guidance Counselor recommendation
- School report
- High School Transcript
- Standardized Tests
- Portfolios and awards
- Formal demonstration of competencies
- Secondary school GPA
- Secondary School rank
- TOEFL (for international students)
While SAT and ACT scores are not required at Bard College, it will still be considered when making the decision on your admission. The following are the SAT guidelines that prospective applicants should comply with:
- SAT Reading: 590 – 690
- SAT Math: 570 – 680
Aside from test scores, other factors that would help determine your admission is your rigor of secondary school record, academic GPA, essay, extracurricular activities and leadership trainings. Early application options are available and students can send in their requirements by November 1 and the regular admission is on January 1. Students can choose to apply in different options from early action, early decision, immediate decision plan or regular admission.
Bard College Graduate Programs, Scholarships and Tips for Application
The highest degree it offers is Doctor’s degree. Bard College is best ranked for its Social Sciences, General Major. Bard College offers numerous undergraduate, graduate and specialized degree programs for its students. It has four divisions:
- Division of arts
- Division of languages and literature
- Division of science, mathematics and computing
- Division of social studies.
Bard College graduate programs range from doctor of philosophy, MA in arts, teaching, business administration, fine arts, music and science. The school also offers interdivisional programs and concentrations with 24 interdisciplinary fields, 11 of which are major and 13 are considered minors.
The cost at Bard College can be considered as expensive for most. First year students are expected to spend $69,018 on tuition and fees, $67,320 for returning residents and $53,112 for returning off campus students. Prospective students do not have to worry about paying for the entire cost of tuition as there are financial aid and scholarships available. 67% of freshmen at Bard College receive aid which totals to $37,297 average while students from low income families gets $45,718 of aid in the first year.
Majority of scholarships come from Bard College itself. 328 incoming freshmen were given scholarship of $34,196 average and 152 were awarded of an average 4,545 each worth of federal grant aid. 81% of freshmen students got scholarships, 11% of federal grants and 8% receive state grant. For more information about the financial aids at Bard College, here are useful links:
Admissions to Bard College can be tough but smart applicants have more choices and chances. The following are tips when applying for better success:
- Apply as early as possible. Thousands apply to Bard College so having your application read by the admission committee early on will give you better chance to be considered.
- Do not just rely on your recommendation letters and essays but always keep tabs on your transcripts. Students with high GPA and standardized test scores are likely to be admitted.
- There is no such thing as the perfect essay. Avoid making it all about world peace or how impressive your qualifications are. Write it based on the purpose of the essay and tailor based on the guidelines set by Bard College.
- When submitting your application, make sure that all your Bard College admission requirements are complete. Sending in late essays or supplemental requirements can say a lot about an applicant.
- Get as much help as you can get. Professional support online is available to students who find it impossibly challenging to apply. Take advantage of this to ensure that you get into Bard College.
- It will be useful if you look for some other alternatives. You can learn about Connecticut College requirements.
Why You Should Choose Bard College
- Bard College is one of the highly ranked schools in US. It is included in the top 5 of most focused English Language and Literature, in Social Science, English Language and Literature.
- Bard College offers outstanding academic rigor and aims to engage its students in all aspect of training and leaderships.
- It offers diversity. You can find creatively driven and intellectually curious individuals both in students and also their faculty members.
- Students can excel and grow in Bard College. The high freshmen retention rate at Bard College which says a lot about their educational satisfaction.
- Bard College is ranked in the top 15% of out of the best schools in US.